Sunday, March 21, 2010

Life Satisfaction

Has having a diagnosis helped you? How?

F60 I never had a formal diagnosis, but my brother is severely autistic. Reading about autism has helped me to see the Asperger’s traits in my own behavior. It helps to realize that this is inheritance and I am not being antisocial etc. A lot of expectations socially I just can’t fulfill because of how I am. Like everyone else I do the best I can.

Who has provided you with the most support in your life and what form has it taken?
For what issues have you sought psychological or pastoral help?
Drawing on the lessons you’ve learned over your life, what advice would you offer to a younger version of yourself?


F60 My husband---unconditional love to the best of his ability.
No professional help---being a private person I tend to deal with things by reading etc. So I have read many self-help books. I also have a good friend who also probably has aspergers and is a councillor who I have sometimes over the years discussed things with. But it is more of a mutual help as we give each other support.
Advice: It is important to be you. Don't try to be something others expect of you.

Are you happy with your life now? What makes you happy? What would make you more happy? What changes would you like to make in your life?

No comments: